How can we stop immigration case?

If the I-130 or I-140 petition hasn't yet been approved, it's relatively easy to cancel it. All you need to do is send a letter to USCIS, at the office that is currently processing the petition, informing them of your decision. Attach a copy of the receipt notice, if you received one from USCIS. A person with a case in Immigration Court can file a naturalization request and ask the Immigration Judge to stop the deportation case if he can demonstrate humanitarian or exceptionally attractive factors.

This could apply when you have a previous conviction (including an aggravated felony conviction) before November. You must behave exceptionally well and meet other requirements for naturalization, such as having your green card for at least 5 years (or 3 years if you married a U. However, you will need the government Trial Attorney or U.S. Citizenship Immigration Services & (USCIS) to agree that you are eligible for naturalization, which can be difficult with a criminal conviction.

If you served honorably in the U.S. UU. Military personnel on active duty during an armed conflict, you just need to have a year of good moral character. These include the time you have lived in the U.S.

UU., S. He wants to convince the immigration judge that he is sorry, that he will not commit any other crimes in the future and that it has changed his life. See Canceling Withdrawal for information on this process. You must apply for asylum within one year of your arrival in the U.S.

Unless you demonstrate changed circumstances or extraordinary circumstances. The changed circumstances may be changes in your country of origin or in your own circumstances outside your country. Extraordinary circumstances can be serious illness or depression as a result of past damage or changes in your immigration status. If you fail to meet the one-year filing deadline and fail to meet one of the exceptions, you can still seek deportation withholding and redress under the Convention against Torture if you would be harmed if you returned to your country.

Asylum is for people who fear being harmed or persecuted, but it's usually not available if you fear prosecution for a crime. However, if the prosecution is going to punish you for political activity, religion, nationality, race, or group membership, then you have an asylum case. Some crimes prevent you from obtaining asylum. For example, you cannot obtain asylum if you were convicted of an aggravated felony or if you were convicted of a particularly serious crime and constitutes a danger to the community.

These crimes often include burglary of a home, burglary, shooting with intent to kill, and other violent crimes. Nor can you obtain asylum if you helped in the pursuit of other people or if you committed a serious non-political crime in your country. If you have an aggravated felony conviction, you can still request withholding of deportation unless you have been sentenced to five years in prison. You must show that your life or freedom would be threatened because of your race, religion, nationality, political opinion, or membership in a particular group.

If you fear being tortured by government agents or with government acquiescence, ask the immigration judge to relieve you under the Convention against Torture. Criminal convictions are not a bar. If you already have a deportation order, try to reopen your case in Immigration Court and explain why you would be tortured. You apply for asylum, withholding of deportation and the Convention Against Torture by completing Form I-5 89 that the immigration judge will give you.

Call or write to PAIR or the Boston College Immigration and Asylum Project. You have to explain why you left your country and what you think will happen to you if you return. You have to prove why you would be in danger and who would harm you. If you have letters, press articles, or other documents, add them to your request or take them to court at your hearing.

A citizen relative must file a family petition for you (Form I-130) with Immigration. You then file Form I-485 with the Immigration Judge and prove that you are admissible in the U.S. Some of the crimes that cause problems are a crime of moral turpitude (unless you had a possible sentence of one year or less and you were sentenced to 6 months or less), drug convictions, or two offenses where you received a sentence of 5 years or more. Abused spouses, children and parents who have been abused by a U.

A citizen or lawful permanent resident, spouse, parent or child can file a self-petition seeking legal status without asking the abuser to submit the documents. Only certain individuals described below can apply for a 212 (h) waiver, which waives some crimes of moral turpitude. This exemption is difficult to win and does not excuse murder or torture (or attempted murder or torture), or drug-related offenses (except simple possession of 30 grams or less of marijuana). If you think you can apply for a 2 12 (h) exemption, tell the immigration judge.

Typically, a person applying for a 212 (h) exemption must also be seeking adjustment of status to become a lawful permanent resident (adjustment of status is described above). The person must also be married to a U, S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident, or have a son, daughter or father who is a U. You also need to prove that you get out of the U.S.

It would cause extreme hardship for your spouse, father, son or daughter who is a U, S. If you have been convicted of a violent or dangerous crime, you must prove that your removal would cause exceptional and extremely unusual hardship for one of the family members mentioned above. If you return from a trip abroad and you are already a lawful permanent resident, you can apply for a 2 12 (h) exemption to excuse these crimes without reapplying for adjustment of status. Lawful permanent residents who apply for a 2 12 (h) exemption have stricter rules than those who are not lawful permanent residents.

Lawful permanent residents cannot receive a 212 (h) exemption if convicted of an aggravated felony since admission to the U.S. For at least 7 years before deportation proceedings. There are special rules if a person has experienced extreme abuse or cruelty by a U. Citizen or Lawful Permanent Resident Spouse or Parent.

For example, an abused spouse can request a cancellation of deportation after being in the U.S. In addition, people who are abused by a U. The spouse or parent, citizen or lawful permanent resident, can also file a self-petition seeking legal status without having to rely on their abuser. Voluntary Departure Allows You to Leave the U.S.

This makes it easier to legally return to the U.S. However, most criminal convictions make it difficult to leave voluntarily. You can request voluntary departure in Immigration Court at the beginning of your case if you are not removable for terrorist activities or for an aggravated felony (see page 1). If you request it at the beginning, you do not need to demonstrate good moral character.

This means that even if you have a criminal conviction, you may be able to get out voluntarily. Before you talk to USCIS, always talk to an immigration specialist. Take a short survey to tell us what's working and what's missing. If it is Monday to Friday between 9 am.

m. and 4 p. m. If an immigration judge denies your case, you have 30 days to appeal the decision to the Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA).

If the BIA rejects your appeal, you may be able to challenge this denial in the U.S. Federal Court of Appeals with jurisdiction over your case. The U visa can be granted to immigrant victims of violence who have experienced psychological or physical abuse and want to work with the police in examining and prosecuting criminal activities. A 212 (c) exemption may be applied to an immigrant who has a previous conviction that occurred prior to April 24, 1996. Therefore, if you, a friend, or a loved one have received a removal order, it is essential to get an experienced immigration lawyer right away.

In many affirmative immigration matters, it is acceptable for a well-informed person to proceed without an attorney. In other words, deportation is when an immigration judge orders that an immigrant within the United States be expelled for violating the law. Otherwise, the case can take years, especially when an appeal is filed with the Immigration Appeals Board. Removal proceedings are often initiated by immigration authorities known as Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE).

While this inaction seems mundane, and in fact, many people make the mistake of forgetting to report their change of address when moving home or location, failure to inform USCIS of a change of address will result in an immigrant subject to deportation.

Immigration law

sets out many ways in which a person subject to deportation can request to stop their deportation and stay in the U. I accept clients who need representation before the Dallas Immigration Court, Houston Immigration Court, San Antonio Immigration Court, El Paso Immigration Court, Harlingen Immigration Court, and Houston Asylum Office. Under immigration law, a “conviction” has a much broader legal definition than its usual meaning.

The immigrant can file a request for relief with an immigration judge, who then determines if that person is eligible to:. Immigrants often assume that being placed in deportation or deportation proceedings automatically means deportation, and therefore there is no reason to consult an immigration lawyer. In general, the law says that immigrants are deportable for violating immigration laws; however, violating U.S. laws can also put an immigrant at risk.

Otherwise, general immigration issues are also addressed by the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS). .

Leave a Comment

Required fields are marked *